Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Flub's General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

gun licences

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: gun licences
    Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 8:11am
Wondering if anyone else having same probs getting firearms licence renewed like i am having,put
 paperwork in 5 months ago,one month before current licence was due for renewal as had done many
 times previously with no issuses,one month later had our interviews was told then to expect 90 day
 delay before got new licence,ok longer than been before,but tho thought delay was bit long,could live
 with it,after 100 days contacted firearms licencing office in wellington,was told been approved but would 
 take another 4/6 weeks due to them being backlogged,now 7 weeks since then,still no new licence.
 Other than being told couldnt buy guns or ammo coz my lic now invalid was told they had no probs me
 still holding my firearms n pcp airguns,have quiried me holding my guns twice since n told was ok as 
 my new licence been approved and in process being issused,but here i am still in limbo without a valid
 licence 5 months later,still holding n using my guns with police approval.
 Considering all police complaints bout illegal guns getting into wrong hands recently after a serries
 nasty incidents involving firearms i have to wonder how many others been put in same position as 
 myself just give up and sell their guns illegally just to get rid them eh!!Iknow from past experience
 of people have known who didnt renew licences that police never checked up to see if any guns they
 once legally owned had been diposed of legally,my therory is that many of the illegal guns out there
 are really out there coz police didnt follow up on expired licences eh!!!!!!! i tend to think this mat be
 the real truth of that matter,my qeustion is this,How do gun laws work as intened if the body whos job
 it is to enforce these laws dont doso but instead demand tougher laws that only affect the law abiding
 gun owners like myself and idiots n crims who ignore the first place will allso ignore any new laws as
 well,when police dont enforce the laws we allready have,My point therefore is if our police dont
 seem to be able to comply with the laws we do have and dont enforce these laws,how exactly are
 the laws going to work,fact is like drug n road laws they dont work eh!!
 I been a legal licenced gun owner for 50 years,i my very best to comply with the law and have never
 knowingly or deliberatly broken these laws and am now left in a position i dont want or like being in
 not by my own choice either quite simply it appears to me another party isnt or cant do their job 
 properly for whatever reasons.
 I totally resent being put in a position where i am in what really is the position of being illegally in 
 posscession of firearms n pcp airguns thru no fault my own,as facts are police can legally force me
 to hand over what is my legall property to them now without anything i can do to prevent that 
 happening should they so choose to doso.
 To be honest i totally pissed off with whole situation as truth is i dont currently possess a firearms
 licence am in possecession of firearms and dispite the apparent approval of police that in law has no
 legal standing,none of which is of my doing.

Under the law i am now a criminal having illegal possecession of firearms for which i currently hold a 
 licence to possess a situation i didnt ask to or want to be in thats not of my making either.
 My point is how am i supposed stay within the law when those whos job it is the help me stay within
 the law are making it impossible for me to doso.
 Cheers Mike
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 8:48am
If the police have said you have been approved and are just waiting for what ever reasons they have given you are not technically braking the law. As long as you have that in writing you should be fine. Tho 5 months does seem aong time for them to get a bit of plastic printed on.
2nd place HP springer - WFTF World Championships 2014

dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 7:01am
The ongoing sarga of my gun licence continues but has finally been resolved satisfactorly,i finally
 lost my patience,after calling licencing office twice in last few months and bassically getting blown off.
 Monday this week called my district AO whos known me for lot years both personally and 
 professionaly to ask him to see what the delay was,he was gob smacked i hadnt received my new 
 licence as he had recommened me allso,
 Two hours later i got a call from officer in charge the licencing office telling me they had just personally
 processed my application,approved it and my new licence would be in next batch printed and i could expect it in couple weeks,they allso apologised for what they said eas an unacceptable delay in 
 processing it,they allso told me reason behind the delay,dispite my partner having no issuses,one my 
 refrees being a recently retired local AO whos been long time friend,the ditrict AO recommending me,
 the local police having no issuses,the licencing office had allso interviewed my nasty nieghbour
 following up on a series of malicious and false allegations and complaints he had made against me
 in previous 10 months,all of which had been investaged by my local police and proven to be false
 the licencing office took more notice of what this man said than the real facts of the matter,go 
 figure that on eh!!
 This leaves me wondering how long this wouldve continued or if my licence renewal may have been 
 evan refused and my licence revoked if the district AO had not intervened on my behalf eh!!
 While i fully understand and appeciate how and why our licencing system has checks n balances etc
 to try ensure guns dont as far as possible get into the wrong hands and have no real issuses with
 our licencing system,i do feel in my situation having done nothig wrong or illegal that i got the heavy
 end of the system rather unfairly and with no real justification.
 I would been devastated if my licence had been revoked as i believe it came very close to being 
 particularlly in light the circumstances.
 Fortunatly in the end sanity prevailed thanks to my district AO standing up for me.
 Cheers Mike 
dvlnme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvlnme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 8:11am
Finally after 6 months got my new firearms licence today,what a frustrating exercise,all because
 some nut case had it in for me,just goes to show if you have gun licence,you could lose it for no valid
 reason and having done nothing illegal either.I learnt that lesson thats for sure.
 Cheers Mike
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic