Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Target Shooting and Clubs > Target Shooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Extreme pellet testing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Extreme pellet testing
    Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 3:15pm
So we know about weighing pellets and sizing pellets for consistency but I stumbled apon this little machine for testing the variance to the skirt thickness!

Cant have the sound on but assume the micrometer shows any descrepency in the skirt forming and helps eliminate any pellet that may have a slight wobble in flight.

J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
KiwiTR6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiTR6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 6:34pm
Wow that's an impressive setup.  I guess it would be invaluable if you were competing at a serious  level.

For me, I have some QYS pellets on order.  It'll be interesting to see how they perform in the $100 challenge gun!
FX Wildcat MK111 BT Sniper .25
Walther Reign M2 .22
Evanix AR6 .22
FX Dreamline Classic .22
Cometa Fenix 400 .177
Weihrauch HW50 .177
Air Chief Junior .177 ($100 Challenge)
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by KiwiTR6 KiwiTR6 wrote:

Wow that's an impressive setup.  I guess it would be invaluable if you were competing at a serious  level.

For me, I have some QYS pellets on order.  It'll be interesting to see how they perform in the $100 challenge gun!

Are they coming from a NZ supplier? Was keen to try them, but were out of stock.
RangerPete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 11:37pm
A pellet skirt thickness checker to eliminate possible unbalanced wobbles in flight hummm…
I’m sure it would help when shooting under perfect conditions, maybe like indoors.
But you’d need to be a really top class shooter and know your equipment very well to notice a difference in your pellet flight like that 👍🏻
Having said all of that, I’d have taken all the help I could have gotten tonight, trying to brain bunnies at 50 and 60yards in the wind and the rain! A exercise in frustration if ever there was one!
Finished up on 25, so not a bad night in the end, but went through 5 mags of pellets to get those 25 rabbits 😂
I hate shooting in the wind.
Walk quietly, but carry a big stick.
KiwiTR6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiTR6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2023 at 8:04am

Are they coming from a NZ supplier? Was keen to try them, but were out of stock.
[/QUOTE]

Yep, they have been invoiced for them so shouldn't be too far away - I've ordered 4 tins at this stage.

Hi Gavin

Pricing will be $21.07 per tin (plus local shipping).

If you would like to go ahead can you please advise your address details and I will put an order in my system for you.

Regards

Julie

Shootingstuff Ltd

09 299 6587

sales@shootingstuff.co.nz

Edited by KiwiTR6 - 23 Sep 2023 at 8:05am
Walther Reign M2 .22
Evanix AR6 .22
FX Dreamline Classic .22
Cometa Fenix 400 .177
Weihrauch HW50 .177
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2023 at 11:12am
Great, I had ordered a couple tins in April, and was waiting to hear of the stock coming in, so hopefully not too far away.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2023 at 12:27pm
Hi Kiwi,
It’s a rainy day here and after reading your post I thought I’d measure a pellets too, for my own curiosity.
I have two tins of JSB exact .177 8.44gr. One is supposedly 4.51mm (I won’t call it head size because we know no part of the pellets conform to those measurements 😂) and the other tin is 4.52mm
I randomly selected 10 from each half used tin and measured head and skirt diameter, as best as I could.
What ever inaccuracies there may be with my measuring should at least be consistent over all 20 pellets 😂.
My take always are as folows: the 4.52mm has a slightly bigger skirt, as you would expect, but seems to have a slightly smaller head… go figure? 😂😂😂

Then just for some extra frustration I measured 10 JSB express 7.87gr, which are also supposed to be 4.52mm.
Yes the weight is different, but you’d expect the measurements to be the same… Humm 🤔

And lastly some gamo 10X. I have always noticed the Gamos are tighter going into the breech, the head size shows why.

I then worked out the average of each, the max and min sizes and the extream spread for each column.

Rainy days….

KiwiTR6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiTR6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2023 at 12:58pm
Pete, probably just a coincidence, but if you average the average skirt and head sizes of the Exact 4.52, you get 4.5225.....
Walther Reign M2 .22
Evanix AR6 .22
FX Dreamline Classic .22
Cometa Fenix 400 .177
Weihrauch HW50 .177

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2023 at 2:49pm
Now that’s freaky… 😳
How did u figure that out? 😂
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2023 at 3:32pm
AI
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic