Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Spyda .177 slugs.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spyda .177 slugs.
    Posted: 06 Oct 2023 at 11:47am
I have been trying to source some .177 slugs from every gun shop I could contact in NZ, and a few international shops too...

All the big pellet manufacturers do .177 slugs, JSB, H&N, Zan, NSA and a bunch of others, but no one in NZ imports .177 slugs. And the overseas shops I contacted wont ship them here.

Then I remembered Brian from Spyda in the south island, so I reached out to him.
My little Elly is only pushing 12FPE, so I was looking for a 10gr slug, unfortunatly the lightest he can make is a 13.4gr. But he happily made me up some which I have just recieved.
Looking forward to trying them. They might be a little heavy for Elly, but its worth a try.

If anyone else is interested in .177 slugs we now know where we can get them Beer

Will post results when I test.
Walk quietly, but carry a big stick.
RangerPete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2023 at 11:50am
Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2023 at 10:11pm
Are the made in Darfeild?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2023 at 10:30pm
Dont know where he is based, somewhere in the South Island.
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2023 at 12:01am
I might try some in my Uragan.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2023 at 10:50pm
Finally managed to spend some time with these slugs.
Weighed them and they came out at 13.44gr.
Put them over a chrono and my little Elly is pushing them at 638.8 fps.
Unfortunately I think they need to be going at least 50% faster.
13.44gr at 638fps gives 12.17FPE
Shot a group at 20m and got a CTC of 24mm, not quite where it should be 🤔

The guys overseas shooting slugs from 12FPE .177 are shooting 10gr slugs, which I tried very hard to get hold of, but no one in NZ imports them.
These were made for me by Spyda in South Island and this weight 13.44gr is as light as he can make them.
Very keen to see how they perform at 950fps 👍🏻

Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2023 at 9:36am
My limited experience with slugs is that once they get slow the accuracy fails. So they could be great at shorter distances for lower power.
 For example I have been shooting some 25 grn .22 cal slugs at 844 fps getting 15 mm groups at 50 m, but after that the groups open up.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2023 at 7:56pm
I’ve just had a similar experiance with H&N FTT pellets.
At 40m they were amazing. 5 shot group was 17mm if I remember correctly.
4 of those were in a 7.8mm group 😳, at 40m! 😳

When I moved back to 80m, the group exploded to about 20cm!!! 😳😳😳

17mm at 40m should give you 40mm or 50mm at 80m.
I have no idea why they went from excellent at 40m to total crap at 80m.
flock View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 7:06pm
Be using 21g H&N in my Fx wildcat M3 at full pace 820 fps got them shooting at 50m but shots further out at hares were unsuccessful, thought it was just me a lousy shot & gauging distant at night. Rifle shot 18g JBs at 920 on full also and was economical on air. Up graded my Night vision scope to a RF ballistic set but as yet hasn't set up. 
Any way wanted to send the slugs at more speed, may buy a slug liner at a later date, so installed the heavier hammer weight & adjustable pellet probe.
 Up the reg pressure to 140 set the hammer set up at 6mm. Well first shot witha 25g H&R  was over 1150 fps, many shots & tuning later I have it down to 980fps, which is good although havn't tested it for accuracy yet. The bummer bit is it shoots all pellets at way out past 1000fps, uncontrollable, power settings don't rhym with 1 shooting a thou plus & 3 slows but still, way too fast. The hammer weighs many heaps more than  the old one & is designed to do .25 & 30 cal, as well. Natually shot is about 1/3 of what I was getting. Reg pressure is now 125 & hammer backed off .  Still can't understand the power wheel carry on. Oh well play time. 
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 9:40pm
You need to ballance the hammer weight against the reg pressure so that the hammer isn't hitting too hard, or not hard enough. You can only do this using a chrony.

One way is to start with hammer set low. While recording the speed, increase hammer tension until you notice the pellet speed stops rising and kind of reaches a plateau. at the plateau point you are probably only just past the ballance. You may notice the shot sounds sweeter at this point too.
This doesn't mean it's the best speed for the slug, but it means that at that reg pressure and that hammer setting things are ballanced.

More hammer tension and you waste air. That extra air can upset the slug, so if you want more speed, tweak the reg pressure up a touch and tune hammer again the same way.

That's how I do it, but i'm certainly no wizard and it can get frustrating.
Be prepared to shoot a lot of pellets and go through air.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic