Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting > Bow hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Peacocks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Peacocks
    Posted: 28 Oct 2023 at 1:27pm
Got a new permission from a nearby farm to shoot peacocks and anything other pests. I've rechecked the zero on my xbow for taking some out but once I've learnt where they roost at night it may give me the chance to take one with the .25 cal

Watch this space.....
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2023 at 2:30pm
More than one.
I'd take your quietest gun.(or crossbow with those blunt impact tips)
Make it moonless night.
They are very reluctant to fly at night from the trees.
I took some out many years ago from fire mountain (the place where children of fire mountain was filmed. Actually just a farm)
It took a lot to get them moving and they crashed into fences and you could hear them crash landing in the paddock.
Do not stand under the tree they are roosted in.
I decided to take one with a pole and noose one night. They didn't fly off till the one I noosed was flapping like mad.
However when I turned up and shone the torch up from underneath, they goobled and simultaneously crapped.
I got absolutely covered in Turkey sh*t. They don't crap small or solid.
And of course I was looking up and got a large portion of it on my face

Edited by kruzaroad - 28 Oct 2023 at 2:32pm
Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2023 at 5:29pm
Well peacocks are flipping hard to stalk into close. Eagle eyed and spot you over 100m away. Fortunately once you spook them I managed to get into position for when their curiosity got the better of them and they decided to come back to check me out.

Managed to shoot a peacock with the xbow yesterday evening at 40m but hit slightly too high and it fled. Couldn't find it in the knee high grass but found it this afternoon. I took the tail feathers for some indian staff who wanted them if I got one.

Driving out of the farm I spotted a young cock with some peahens so stayed in the car and slocked this with the .25 Hatsan at 30m with a clean headshot

The mighty.25 strikes again.

Edited by Billbobnz - 30 Oct 2023 at 7:44am
Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2023 at 6:46pm
This is the one I got with the xbow

kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2023 at 12:52am
You going to stuff any of them.
Pretty colourful target
Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2023 at 7:45am
If I had found the mature one on Saturday night I would have. Unfortunately something had got into it, probably a hawk.

I took he breasts off the young one so will try them in the next day or two
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2023 at 10:36am
Got mixed reviews from the people I know. Yaren recons they are OK.
He lived on fire mountain. Dutch I think and would snaffle one everytime he got low on money.
The other 3 weren't impressed, so I'll be interested to see.
I've never eaten them.
Think the sh*tting episode put me off.
nunga View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2023 at 2:23pm
You would think they taste like chicken or turkey wouldnt you? after all the are big and probably eat the same food.
2nd place HP springer - WFTF World Championships 2014

Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2023 at 2:47pm
Yep will let you know, surprised the breasts weren't as big as I thought they would be. Been told they are similar to turkey
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2023 at 5:07pm
Well it's a young coming out of winter so that may play a part.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic