Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Pauly's Technical Area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Spring is here

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spring is here
    Posted: 02 Nov 2023 at 7:17am
I

called into a spring maker the other day to see if I can buy springs for guns. They don't stock sizes, but make to order, and a couple of springs ain't worth it, but I got talking to the guy and when he found out I work on airguns he said that if I can fix his son's springer he will give me some spring wire to make my own.

Gun is a youth Ruger that would fire without even pulling the trigger. I reckon the sears haven't been hardened properly and with reasonably bad tollerances the latch rod swivels slightly reducing sear engagement further.

So I made a few tweaks to lessen movement and it seems to be ok...for now. But I now have a good supply of spring wire to make hammer and valve springs for my pistol builds.

Edited by Pauly5 - 02 Nov 2023 at 7:18am
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2023 at 7:23am
Here are a couple of photos of the trigger parts.

KiwiTR6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiTR6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2023 at 10:40am
Worse than the $100 Air Chief!
FX Wildcat MK111 BT Sniper .25
Walther Reign M2 .22
Evanix AR6 .22
FX Dreamline Classic .22
Cometa Fenix 400 .177
Weihrauch HW50 .177
Air Chief Junior .177 ($100 Challenge)
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2023 at 10:42am
Yea, it's not very good.

Do you think I should heat it up, cherry red and quench? I'm not that skilled with hardening.
KiwiTR6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiTR6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2023 at 12:02pm
I can send you some of that Polish Kasenit to try if you like?  It's pretty straight forward process although I haven't used it myself yet.  PM me if you're keen.
FX Wildcat MK111 BT Sniper .25
Walther Reign M2 .22
Evanix AR6 .22
FX Dreamline Classic .22
Cometa Fenix 400 .177
Weihrauch HW50 .177
Air Chief Junior .177 ($100 Challenge)
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2023 at 12:06pm
Yea, definitely. Happy to pay of course. I'll pm you.

I did have some from Mike, but it absorbed moisture and became a slurry. I will have to get an airtight container.
Declan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Declan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2023 at 9:00am
Like you I used to fix/recondition mates air rifles - that is until the world went mad and people began blaming others for their own mistakes. So I gave up the fixes because of the potential of being caught up in something not of my making if there were some sort of incident.
These days I tell people to either buy a new one or pay the money to have a professional do the fix.
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2023 at 9:16am
Yes, you do need to be selective with what you take on.

Fortunately the guy knows it's a budget gun, and I did explain tolerances on parts are often their failings.  He understands that runniing a business that has some pretty amazing equipment.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic