Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Kia Ora all.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2024 at 9:23am
G'day Kruisn,

Welcome aboard. My thoughts are echo'd in most of these comments.

Depending on funds, and if I had to buy a springer now, I would be looking Weihrauch - 97k, 98, 95 or any other, Air Arms tx200, Cometa Fenix. There's a nice FWB looking to be sold atthe moment too.

But the bottom line is that these well engineered guns built with good tollerances and sturdy materials will serve you well and last. And don't be wow'd by impressive claims of 1200 fps.

Other brands that use plastics on critical parts just won't last, and will get sloppy. This also means that buying a good brand second hand, you will still get a good gun.

The other important factor is the trigger. If it has a nice adjustable trigger, this will go a long way to accuracy.

There seems to be a few decent guns going through trademe recently. I see there's an English made Webley on at the moment, although I don't know anything about it other than the English ones are better than the Turkish ones.

Keep us posted, it's quite enjoyable seeing someones journey to a purchase.

Myson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Myson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2024 at 9:58am
Welcome Bryan!

Buy that Weihrauch 80 SL!!! You'll never be happier! Smile  And as it's so powerful and so accurate, .22 would be best in my opinion if you're thinking of hunting with it too?

That would be my next purchase, along with an Element Helix scope (4-16x) in Sports Match rings.

All Weihrauch's are Keepers - they make the best springers in the world and their triggers are sublime!!! They will give you, your children and your grandchildren hours and hours of happiness! They last forever!

If you're in the North Island, you are welcome to come and try mine on my ranges here near Feilding.... just PM me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq7jVyBfFqE
Air Arms S510 US .22
Air Arms S410 .22
Weihrauch HW97KT .177
Weihrauch HW95 .177
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2024 at 10:25am
What is the primary use of the gun you are going to buy?
The one thing I'm thinking through all this what does your rodent shooting require?
There's not much point in having a powerful rifle that's going to pass thru rodents, most likely around structors (assumption) and ricochet.
As mentioned before a sub 12ftp has been proven by the English to be effective at distance and probly safer around structors.
I totally agree with the get higher quality, but is it practical for your use.
Also need to be sure the gun suits you.
TX was a beautiful gun, not quite right for me.
Sig beautiful gun, not keen on cal for hunting.
Weihrauch seems to be working out.
None I would use for rat shooting around the implent sheds, wool shed, garage or house.
Or birds with the exception of pidgeon or magpie in the trees away from house. (even then I've heard ricochet at 30mish.
J-S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2024 at 1:33pm
Welcome!
Airguns are fun. any you get will be fun to use.

It really depends on what you want to use it for... my recommendations:

if its pest control - go for .22, something around 18 footpound.
If its targets then go for .177, flatter trajectory, smaller holes. something around 16 footpound is fine.
If you want to do a little pest control too, the .177 will be fine for birds and rabbits.

Dont buy gamo, they arent made to last, theyre over-sprung and horible to shoot.

Hatsan, Crosman, Benjamin, Stoeger - kinda all on par - they are ok as low budget pest control guns - accuracy fine with the right pellets, trigger average but ok for out in the field.

Step up in price to Cometa - a vast improvement on the trigger - nice and adjustable, can be made predictable, crisp and light. Build quality is good, good accurate barrels.
I got a .177 Cometa Fusion as my first proper air gun, and it would stack pellets all day at 25yard range i shoot at.

Diana would be a step up from Cometa - german made, quality guns, better trigger.

Step up again to Weihrauch - the HW80 in .22 is a great pest control gun - high powder, solid, youll be able to hand it down to your kids and grandkids with their build quality.
Rekord triggers are among the best of the sporting air rifles. Theyve been around for decades, and parts are readily available if you do need a repair.
HW97 is a fantastic gun, lower in power means less recoil, heavy weight i find helps stability. Great gun for serious target shooting.
HW95 - great option for lower power and easier to shoot than the HW80 with less recoil

Air Arms TX200 is awesome, finished with a deep shiny blueing you only see on fine British firearms. Triggers are every bit as good as the HW97 (i prefer the AA), just as accurate - it'l stack pellets in the same hole if you do your part.
Shoots smoother than the HW97 as it has synthetic bearings on the piston to reduce frisction and generally less twang than the HW. 
Problem is finding one, theyve been sold out quite some time, and I believe the new stock coming will be the newer Ultimate Sporter ones, whioch i cant see being less than $2k RRP

J S Airguns
Air Arms TX200('s)
Theoben Sirocco
HW77
FWB 300s
Webley Patriot
One or two others...

Current projects:
Too many..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic