Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sig Sauer ASP20

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 13>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2023 at 3:31pm
That's sweet. Gonna resight sig for 28m (if the wind ever stops)
Turns out (according to gun chair)
With my weight pellet .67gm and volicity 897fps, it will give me a lot better hold over readings on mildots.
.5=37m,1=44m,1.5=50m,2=55m, 2.5=60m,3=65m, 3.5=69m,4=73m,4.5=77m,5=81m
Which is awsome for the 50m to 65m range, which is where I need to be for hunting hare here.
With 20m and 25m just above the windage line.
Lot easier to rember than last sighted zero.

Myson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Myson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2023 at 8:15am
Hi Kruza,

I too use holdover/holdunder with mildots at a chosen scope magnification (x16).

I build my Ballistic Charts from 10yds-100yds, at 5yds intervals - eg: 10yds, 15yds, 20yds, etc...

I do all of this manually by moving the targets to the desired range, shooting my groups and then checking through my scope to determine how many mildots above/below I need to holdover/holdunder from zero, at each chosen range.

I'm mentioning this because I believe everyone's scope differs and if you use only Chairgun (or similar) to setup your Ballistics Chart, it won't take into account the specific optics of your specific scope at each range.

Does that make sense?

Not only that but it's also fun discovering your particular gun by walking up and down the range, moving targets 5yds at a time and using your own scope to determine the amount of mildots you'll need to holdover/holdover at each and every range.

It's time consuming but it does give results relevant to your particular gear, rather than relying on generic electronic calculators like Chairgun, etc...

And it's interesting what you find if you do it manually - for example, on my particular scope on my S410 PCP, there's a point (135yds) where the holdover is the same as at 130yds! The holdover (9 mildots) should of course have increased from 130yds to 135yds - but it doesn't! It's just the optics of my particular scope that, after focusing at 135yds, I have to use the same number of mildots holdover as at 130yds!!

Odd but true! And I would not have discovered this if I'd just used Chairgun alone....

Hope this all makes sense?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq7jVyBfFqE
Air Arms S510 US .22
Air Arms S410 .22
Weihrauch HW97KT .177
Weihrauch HW95 .177
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2023 at 8:32am
Totally. I think further back up I have the two differnt flight paths in mildots between AA and exact done as you do.
However gunchair with info in it will put me right in the ball park, and as with all things fine tuning will be done manually.
Its the same with mildot ranging, have distances by mildots from calculations but at end of day, stapling a hares head to a post (eeeeewww) and setting it at distances allowed me to measure and record how I see it through the scope.
I agree with totally, but gunchair has given me the range to work in and I can retune the data from there.
I also found that acurate scope height for gun chair is a vital bit of info that improved its prediction when I used the vernier to measure it, once I'm Sighted in I'll throw the chrono up by the targets and work out the true ballistic coefficient for the pellets, which will further fine tune the app.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2023 at 8:55am
Page two of this thread. AA df heavy, exact heavy both weighed and weasured to same specs.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2023 at 9:24am
If any of you guys/gals are keen to take your favorite pellet/s for the sig
and do a bit of real life drop measuring, post it, it would be rather interesting to see the flight chararistics of them, then compare them to others results and see if there's definite flight paths veriations that ring true for a certain pellet.
Thinking AA, exact, barracuda be good starting point as seems to be the most recommended by users here.
Prob need the zero for your distance you are set at too. If you could provide volicity that be a bonus.
Once this weather stops!

Edited by kruzaroad - 05 Jan 2023 at 9:26am
mercs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2023 at 12:08pm
This could get interesting, and looks like fun, subject gets techo real quick.
Pest control: I learn scope and rifle at 25yard and 35 yard and everything else is a quick holdover thought rather than a reference.

I have X-ACT app from Hawke, came with a Vantage scope but is a free download. Never used it much as the scope failed x3 on my springers so I took a refund. (nice scopes no complaints)
I will check out gun chair but in the meantime have run a comparisons with some range observations.

Yesterday I had drop downs setup from 35 - 55 yards.
1.575 inch target zone (40mm)

session 1
.22 Sig zeroed at 55 yards from previous trials.
55 yard target dropped
50 yard target dropped
45 yard target missed
40 yard target missed
35 yard target missed

session 2
.22 Sig zeroed at 35 yards.
35 yard target dropped (POA bottom of target zone)
40 yard target dropped
45 yar target dropped
50 yard target dropped
55 yard target dropped (POA top of target zone)

Double target zones gives a difference of 3.15 inch POA from first to last shot.

I think there was some good validation between physical and calculated numbers.
X-ACT calculation graph shows a pellet drop from 40 to 55 yards of just under 3 inches.

Details
Pellet RWS Super Field 15.9 grains 1.03 grammes
Performance 780 fps 21.49 ft/lbs measured this morning
Scope Zero Tech 3-12x40 set at x12.

No default setting in the X-ACT app but Hawke Vantage was similar.
I tried a few scope models and there was about 1/2 inch variation.
Yes agree, the scope height is very sensitive so I measured to 2 decimal places. 1.85 inches
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2023 at 1:13pm
Yep I ended up at 3.94cm (1.55 inch) for scope height. With that said, I had to measure from bore center to top of barrel, then as the barrel is a tad higher than the piston cylinder, measure how much higher that was and subtract it from the first measurement.
After that measure from top of piston cylinder (receiver?) to center of scope.
Very nearly just put 4cm in data but every mil affects the out come.
Hawk don't do updates for chairgun any more so be aware of that. You cant update pellet database and stuff online and if its not in the list will have to put it in manually. Not a biggie. I'm not recommending it either, it just happens to be what I am using as it was designed for air guns.
In order to keep it all on a level footing, what about we do 15m out to 50m at 5m intervals.
Aiming at bulls and recording the mildot drop and/or cm/inch drop.
I'm using meters as most scopes will be mildot and not moa (although for some weird reason my hawk airmax is mildot on retical and moa for adjustment. There is a a way of setting up to correct that if anyone is interested I'll find the video and post it)
15m/16.4yd
20m/21.87yd
25m/27.34yd
30m/32.81yd
35m/38.28yd
40m/43.74yd
45m/49.21yd
50m/54.68yd
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2023 at 11:04pm
Re sighted sig to 28m.
Put 1.5inch spinner targets at random distance out to 46m (fence ended there)
Used retical info I've spent last three days mesmerising from gunchair for hold over. Hit every time. Hope as accurate over 46m.
After sighted in with 4.50mm tried 4.49mm and they were just as accurate.
Ralph View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ralph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2023 at 8:06am
Just a bit of useless information. The stock on the Sig Asp20 was patterned after the SIG Sauer SSG 3000 sniper rifle
Sig Sauer ASP20 .177

mercs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2023 at 8:12pm
Clear warm day with a pleasant breeze.

Sig Sauer .22 ASP20 with Zero Tech 3-12x40 Vengeance SF scope.

Measured pellet drop did not always match the calculated values.
General trend was there but 20mm difference at 50 metres.
I had a fixed target and moved shooting position on not so flat land so not the best technique.
I expect if all the required details are known and entered the calculator would be spot on.

The required measured 80mm holdover has merit with experience at local 50 metre rifle range.
The measured and calculated 40 metre result is also backed up by field experience off the fenceposts.
20 to 35 metres just shoot without thinking about correction.
When close at 15 metre I would normally go 20mm high so much closer to calculated value and shooting up into a tree would need all of that and some.

I was liking the groups from the JSB Jumbo Express pellets so will do some more work with them and see if I can get some numbers to line up using the turret MOA adjustment as I am becoming confident with my new scope.

Sig AirASP20 .22
Pellet BrandJSB
Pellet typeJumbo Express
Average fps788
Grains14.35
Grammes0.93
foot pounds19.79
Joules26.83

Distance meter Leupold RX1300i
Chronometer XCORTECH X3200
Calculator X-ACT
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 13>