Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sig Sauer ASP20

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
mercs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2023 at 8:55pm
ASP20 timeline

2018 - Introduced in January
- appeared at Shot Show in the USA
2019 - Industry commentators visit factory
- comes available in .177 and .22 synthetic and wood package options with a  4-12x44AO scope
- Industry reviews start to appear
2020 - available in NZ?
2021 - ASP20 Scope removed from Sig Sauer website
- Synthetic and .22 calibre become difficult to source
- Rifle Line discontinued in March?
2022 - NZ supplies all but disappeared.

Packaged scopes were supplied with  standard turrets plus option for blank and calibrated distance turret as seen below.

kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2023 at 1:53am
Well as it so happens work called, the peas started ( been driving most of night) which means 3 things
1: I'll be heading closer to town to a place with a gun safe, so I definitely will try them standing up in that.
2: my months of hunting when I please on an air gunners paradise is about to end for a while.
3: roll on weihrauch, 1322 upgrades, new scopes, big stash of ammo the guns like.
It could just be case. (if the problem is oil coming off.) doesn't seem oily.
Hopefully it is something I can fix by adjusting what I'm doing.
Time will tell.

Myson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Myson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 2:46pm
Interesting Kruza.

I use a glove on my left hand to hold the stock when shooting and to cock the rifle. I only wipe over the rifle about once every 6 months with a light gun oil or INOX. I keep it vertical in my cupboard. And I've never seen a hint of rust, ever!

If you try keeping your SIG vertical in a cupboard (like I do) - no cover, just open to the dry air inside a cupboard - then, if it still rusts, I'd say you have a coating problem that may be fixed under warranty?

For cleaning inside the barrel I use Napier Power Oil but outside the rifle I use any ol'gun oil that I have handy.

Never had any problems at all.

Try the cupboard, vertical test for a week and see what happens....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq7jVyBfFqE
Air Arms S510 US .22
Air Arms S410 .22
Weihrauch HW97KT .177
Weihrauch HW95 .177
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 2:30pm
Yep, I reckon the foam in cases takes the oil away.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 10:01am
OK so the coating is a low temp harding technique .
It adds durability to the metal and scratch resistance. The anti corrosion that you read about is a side effect of the process. Though seems to be a point of topic when discussing it with guns, it's actually not a point a lot of companies who do the coating emphasis to any degree. It's a minor point and does nothing but add a slight rust resistance.
So I'm now thinking that I have been overestimating the amount of corrosive protection. The oil on barrel is just coming off thru cocking into my hunting
Fingerless gloves. Thus stripping it of its oil protection.
When it goes into the hard case the foam is absorbing light reapplied oil off from the barrel leaving it open to air exposure.
All hypothetical but is the closest I've managed to form to a reason.
Will find out over next week.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 9:00am
There's no sign of rust on it today.
Though I have been guilty of getting back from a shoot and not oiling it, this was cleaned and oiled prior to it going away.
Glad to know I'm not the only one who's had the issue.
I'll probly just oil everyday for the next few days and see if it helps.
Need to research the coating more.

Edited by kruzaroad - 18 Jan 2023 at 9:01am
Ralph View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ralph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 8:54am
I had the same thing happen with one of my Sigs, forgot to clean it and oil it after a visit to the rabbits. Found mild rusting on the barrel 2 or 3 days later. Cleaned it and oiled it straight away. Ever since I have always oiled it after use and no further problems
Sig Sauer ASP20 .177

kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 8:39am
Shouldn't do that on treated barrel.
I was thinking the same, but the 1322 and 362 which start surface rust at drop of hat arnt doing it.
I'm inland so not salt air.
I didn't oil last night after I came back from mildly distracting hares from eating last night. ( a shocking night for just missed head shots, good night for hares)
But it was oiled twice before I went out, so I'll be interested to see if it reacts.
Wonder if the rem oil has reacted with the coating
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 8:27am
Wow! That happened quick. Must be all the moisture in the air. 
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 8:09am
Quite possibly the sweat from hands has reacted with the finish.
I can be a bit of an acid old man lol.
The finish is faulty. It's forming over the finish not through it.
It starts where I break the barrel, but I noticed it on the metal rings around the barrel screws, had it this time. ( 3 days is the longest it's been unused)
Its got me a bit stumped. If it was a moisture thing, I'd be expecting the 2 crosman to react as well, they all live in the same place. Which brings me back to a sweat reaction as the crosman are both pump up, no real barrel contact with hands.
Not a issue had with tx200 in same case in same place.
I'm open to suggestions at this stage.
Probly have to do more research into the coating. I only have vague understanding of how it works from when I looked it up last time.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
  Share Topic