Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sig Sauer ASP20

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Myson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2023 at 7:13am
Excellent tests mercs!

I'm waiting for my pellet headsize checker to arrive from UK before I continue testing the SIG because I'm convinced my SIG is very headsize fussy?

I want to try each headsize from a new tin of H&N's Baracuda Match 4.50 (4.46mm - 4.53mm) to see if there's one headsize that consistently gives tightest groups.

My gut feel is that those headsizes below 4.50mm will be better than those above...? We'll see....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq7jVyBfFqE
Air Arms S510 US .22
Air Arms S410 .22
Weihrauch HW97KT .177
Weihrauch HW95 .177
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2023 at 10:05am
I'd put money on 4.53mm not shooting well at all.
4.52mm being tad erratic.
I found the 4.50mm and 4.49mm grouping best and holding target in AA.
I'd be keen to see your results.
There seems to be a lot of mention of baracuda, and I be interested in results.
Great review mercs, I'll try get one up on AA and exact just getting ready to shift at moment so not as much time as id Like. Still got enough room for shooting targets where I'm off too.
Myson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Myson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2023 at 11:28am
Thanks Kruza.

Interesting.... we'll see what headsize is best for my barrel.

The reason I'm thinking one headsize will be best is that I'm getting fliers in some of my current groups with the "4.50" tin and I reckon those fliers are most probably due to unsuitable headsizes in the tin?

I've weighed the pellets into three weight groups (Lite, Medium and Heavy) and I get fliers in all three weight groups so it's probably not a difference of weight - more like a difference in headsize that's causing the odd flier or two.

The good thing is that if I ignore the fliers, the groups are great with H&N Baracuda Match 4.50's. If I can find the right headsize (that does not produce fliers), I think I'm looking at 30mm 7-shot groups at 50yds consistently. Sweet!

Can't wait for my pellet headsize checker to arrive! Smile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq7jVyBfFqE
Air Arms S510 US .22
Air Arms S410 .22
Weihrauch HW97KT .177
Weihrauch HW95 .177
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2023 at 11:49am
Weight will play part. There is a relationship between the extreme weight ranges and head size. I've found.
Flyers should cut right down. It also gives you time to check for head and skirt damage.
Skirt damage can be a big thing in some tins.
Actual roundness of the head is interesting too. I found a few pellets that measured differnt on one side to the other. The worst was 4.50mm one side and 4.46mm on the other. I imagine that would affect flight chararistics as well.
Skirt damage is a biggie with me I'm pretty hard on my judgement of it, it takes very little to lift the skirt to high for effective seal.
mercs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2023 at 8:57pm
30 metres warm calm Taranaki evening.

Previously zeroed to this distance.
I had been pleased with JSB's so thought I would put them up against a pellet I use regularly.

By the numbers the JSB has an edge.

I think that I have reached my technical limit with this particular rifle.
The Sig has a good kick so not sure if I can manage it any better.

20mm O.D. Sig ASP20 .22 JSB Match Diablo Jumbo Express 0.93 grammes 14.35 grains 5.52mm

21mm O.D. Sig ASP20 .22 RWS Super Field 1.03 grammes 15.9 grains 5.51mm

kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2023 at 9:14pm
Poppy cock! If your at your technical limit, then it's time to start fine tuning.
( Though from a hunting aspect, those are both killer groups.)
A spring change to something that will lessens the kick and by default fpe.
Maybe a small tweek in your hold?
Its really so close hole on hole it would be a shame not to find a way tighten it.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2023 at 6:12pm
So here's the sig after 3 days in its padded hardcase not being used.
Doesn't say much for the anti corrosion on this particular gun.
Oh well off hunting, it's been cleaned and reoiled
Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2023 at 7:41pm
Are you serious...!! Wowzers looks like it's had a bath in sea water before being stored...!
mercs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2023 at 9:28pm
Thanks for that, takes the term "patina" a bit far, damn I wonder if there has been a chemical reaction involved.

Amazed it comes through after being oiled, that will need taking back to clean steel and and a full treatment or painting.

Rushed to gun safe to check and mine do not have that dreadful disease. Will consider quarantine as a precaution.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2023 at 10:35pm
Gad think we had enough of quarantines.
It could well be the sweat from hands, but that was wiped and oiled before going away.
The 1322 which sits in the same place, except with just a towel wrapped around it is sweet as. That thing use to surface rust like mad till it had been oiled a dozen plus times.
I've got a packet of moisture absorbing crystals in the sig hard case too.
Guess I'll just keep oiling it Hooe it stops.
Maybe I should write to sig, might be able to get a new barrel in .22. I wish.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>
  Share Topic