Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Target Shooting and Clubs > Target Shooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My new (old) little .177 bullpup.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2023 at 4:09pm
Guy rubbished this rifle when I bought it, gave him some shots Wednesday, he has changed his mind. can't figure out how to send a picture?

Edited by flock - 07 Jul 2023 at 9:24pm
RangerPete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2023 at 9:35pm
Hi Flock,
What rifle is that? Sure seems to shoot nicely to me šŸ‘šŸ»
Walk quietly, but carry a big stick.
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2023 at 9:56pm
He can't argue with that.

You have to tell us what it is now. If it's a springer that's outstanding.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2023 at 10:16pm
Took Elly out for a walk again tonight.
Went to a permission I havenā€™t been to in about a month. Well, itā€™s actually two permissions next to each other.
The propertyā€™s belong to an Uncle and his nephew. Combined they are about 15 acres of paddocks, gates and fences šŸ˜‚.
It was actually a nice night, had two short spells of light drizzel, then the stars came out!
I find with these flat horse propertyā€™s it is more productive to walk around quietly in the dark looking for rabbits, there is just too much area to cover to sit quietly and wait.
These two propertyā€™s share a common boundary with a third property, and as Murphy would have it, all the rabbits seem to be on the other side of the fence, the side I donā€™t have permission to shoot šŸ˜”
Managed to get 12 tonight.
This little AirArms S510 in a bullpup stock is such a sweet little rifle. At 12fpe it is so quiet aswell. The hammer spring makes more noise then the muzzel.
I canā€™t fathom why itā€™s previous owner would have ever wanted to sell itā€¦ šŸ¤”šŸ˜‚

It seems crazy that this little .177 shoots an 8.44gr pellet, when compared to the 30gr .22 slug the dream line is shooting. That is almost a quarter of the weight of the slug. A quarter of the weight!!!
And at 30 and 40m, those bunnies just keel over, every bit as dead as when theyā€™r hit by a 30grain slug šŸ˜‰
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2023 at 12:04am
I'm glad you are getting good use with it. Yes It makes me miss it, but it wasn't getting used, so it's no good sitting in the safe, and it gives me joy to hear what it's up to.

flock View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2023 at 7:26am
It's a Wildcat  sniper m3, were cherry picked, shows its capable.

Something else I noticed at 25m it shot well on setting 4 and at 50m setting 5, 100m setting 6 know setting 6 approx 900 fps. 

Edited by flock - 11 Jul 2023 at 7:35am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2023 at 5:39pm
Have a new challenge for Elly.

Been asked to attend to some pigeons roosting and nesting in an entrance hall of a building.
Only about a 10m shot, not difficult at all. But, there is a glass roof above where the pigeons roostā€¦ šŸ¤”šŸ¤”šŸ¤”
So, Iā€™ve turned the power down to minimum and changed pellets to an ā€œAir Chief, 8.18gr wad cutterā€.
At 10m itā€™s putting pellet after pellet through the same hole, so accuracy is not a problem, itā€™s the power thatā€™s worrying me.

The goal is to have enough powder to kill a pigeon at 10m, dump all the pellets energy into the pigeon (hence the wad cutter) but not exit the pigeon!
After days of grey skies and off and on rain, I finally managed to get a gap of sunshine and chronograph it today, and those wad cutters are doing 501fps. That gives a power of 4,56FPE.
Should be about rite šŸ¤”.

Tomorrow I will test it on an apple at 10m, hopefully it will not exit.
But what I really need is a pigeon or two to use as test subjects before trying the entrance hall.
flock View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2023 at 10:22pm
Put a something equivalent  behind the apple, although a apple is easier to penertrate, feathers are a different ball game. Polymag Predators would be my pick at that distant & speed. Still aim for the thick chest area. Set scope up for the required range so you don't have to think about aim points.

Edited by flock - 13 Jul 2023 at 10:26pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2023 at 6:50pm
Hi Flock,
At 4.5fpe I donā€™t think the polymags are going to do anything, or certainly no more then any other type of hunting or even domed pellet would do šŸ˜‚. Which is why I went with wad cutters, at that low poundage they should hit the hardest.
Pete.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2023 at 7:26pm
Miserable day today, but I managed to get out to one of my permissions and asked if I could use their bottom paddock which I turned into a little shooting range. Wind was strong enough to keep blowing our camp chairs over šŸ˜” and the light rain was cold, but it was still nice to get out and do a bit of shooting.
Itā€™s like therapy for meā€¦

So I tested Elly and the apple todayā€¦
It was a small apple, only about 60mm diameter. The 4.5fpe .177 wad cutter unfortunately exited the apple, knocking it off its pedestal.
Second shot did the same again.
I then put a backstop behind the apple and tried it a third time. Wad cutter exited, and lodged into the wood behind it. But was only lightly embedded in the woodā€¦ šŸ¤”

An interesting side note is that my sons little gamo delta fox shooting a domed pellet at 3.8fpe (so only slightly less power) was also shooting stright through the apple, but didnā€™t knock it off itā€™s pedestal.
So both pellets have enough energy to pass through the apple, but the wad cutter is delivering more energy into the apple and thus knocking it over.

Not convinced with todays results, I managed to get out to another permission where I know there are some pigeons and just before dark I managed to bag a pigeon, and a rabbit šŸ˜‚.
So tomorrow morning Iā€™ll do some pigeon testing šŸ‘šŸ»

Edited by RangerPete - 14 Jul 2023 at 8:01pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
  Share Topic