Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Target Shooting and Clubs > Target Shooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My new (old) little .177 bullpup.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2023 at 9:46pm
It's that rock and a hard place, more speed more expansion less speed more penatration more so with with powder burners, than pellets. I stuffed up and bought some crosman hollow points, only to find they are as hard a hell don't expand at all, JBS are way softer. Only suggested the polymags cause was talking to a guy recently & he was impressed, gave him some of my favourites JSB Hades but he still reckoned the polymags expanded better, tried them way back but not accurate at longer distances. I once whacked a pigeon with my HW80 running at 17ftp with wad cutter and smack was the word, was really pissed off when I could find the dam thing, lession on wad cutters and feathers apparently feather can get twisted up & stop penertration. here comes the old saying 22 for fur and 177 for feathers.
 I have been doing pigeons in tin shed horse stable at night with snap shots at 4 metres, only get 2 or 3 if lucky, first lession was set the gun up for that distance as no time to think, I'm using the same night vision as you have. The steel shed is tuffer than glass, have screwed up & had pass threws but got away with it. I was using 22 hades turned down to ~ 600 fps. Been tempted to try the 22lr with  bird shot, close range. Someone needs to produce a pellet that is flangable & disintegrated for such missions. Good Luck
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2023 at 9:31am
Maybe try the heaviest pellet you can. I use 18 grn JSB at around 11 fpe for pigeons. But it does depend on where you hit them, as there's not much resistance inside the bird unless you hit bone or wings.
RangerPete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2023 at 10:11am
Paul, There might be some merit in using a heavier pellet.
I’ll do some comparison testing today on apples.
I’ve got the 8.18gr wad cutters, I’ll skip the 8.44 domed exacts they zip straight through apples, hades I think are about 10gr I’ve got some of those (but not expecting any expansion with low velocity) and I’m sure I had a few old tins of heavier things.
I’m almost sure I still have some VERY heavy pile drivers 🤔 they look like little logs! Quite long, I hope they fit in the magazine!
Walk quietly, but carry a big stick.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2023 at 5:15pm
Been an interesting day of testing…

Rummaged through my old .177 pellets and chose the following 4 to test:
JSB Hades 10.34gr
Gamo TS-10 10.49gr
H&N rabbiter which I weighed a long time ago at 15.56gr
And the Piledriver at 21gr.

The piledrivers are very long and need to be pushed gently into the AA magazine.
I was also worried about them being too heavy to exit the barrel at this low velocity 🫣, but they did.
Decided not to test the gamo TS-10 as it is just a domed version of the hades.

Shot a pellet from each through an apple and put a piece of wood behind to catch incase the pellet made it through the apple. Shot the wad cutter as a control pellet.
The 15.56gr rabbiter was way off poa, so far that it eliminated its self and got no further testing.
The wadcutter, hades and piledriver all penetrated the apple and embedded into the wood.
The pileriver landed next to the hades, and squashed it! what are the chances….?
The take away from this for me was that although all 3 pellets were shot from the same rifle, same power level, the heavy piledriver (which would have been traveling much slower) went deeper into the wood.
So it seems the heavier pellet carry’s more momentum (thats just physics), but it didnt transfer that energy into the target, possibly because of the shape of the projectile?

I then got out Maurice, our fearless volunteer pigeon. I tried to set him up in a position similar to the shot I would be presented with, I.e. steep uphill. I put a piece of paper behind Maurice to tell if any pellets exited the bird.

I fired 5 wad cutters into the crop/breast area, hoping to reach vitals, but not exit.
The good news is…. None of the wad cutters exited!!!
I then shot a wadcutter into the back of the bird, again trying to reach the vitals, followed by a pile driver in the back. Nothing exited.
Lastly I fired 3 piledrivers into the crop/breast area, again hoping to reach vitals. All 3 of the piledrivers exited the bird, through the paper and into the pellet trap!!!
Again, the piledrivers weigh two and a half times more than the wadcutters, but should be traveling much slower, so they should have about the same FPE. But they penetrate like hell!
Imagine if those piledrivers had a huge hollow point and could mushroom and dump all their energy into the target! Deadly!

My fingers are showing the directions the shots were taken in.

So that answered the question of will a 4,5FPE 8.18gr wad cutter exit a pigeon at 8 or 10m.
No, they don’t. Yay!

The next question I have is did they penetrate far enough to reach vitals?
To answer that I had to do a pigeon disection. This was my first time dissecting a pigeon, and boy did I learn a lot!!!
If u intend shooting any pigeons I would highly recomend you dissect one, their anatomy is nothing like what you think it is!!!
So what did I learn?
Well, a pigeons crop extends way further down the chest than what I thought it did!
I thought I was taking crop/breast shots, no, they were mostly crop shots.
When the crop is full it is big, and holds a lot of seeds and corn. This just means more stuff for your pellet to get through before u reach vitals 🤔. Maybe something to think about when shooting pigeons feeding during the day, verses shooting them at night when they r roosting and their crops are empty.
I also learnt the breast meat is thick and red, (and looks delishious!) and is more stuff to get through to reach the vitals, although from a different angle to the crop.
I also learnt that the heart is fairly large and is protected behind a huge shield called the sternum, and the breast mussels. It is also positioned way further down the body than I would have ever imagined! It’s closer to the drumsticks than it is to the neck. Infact, a shot through the back would be much easier to reach the heart and lungs than from the front or from below (typical uphill shot at a pigeon).
I also learnt that what I though was a “in the back shot”, trying to take the easy route to the vitals, was actually way to far down the back, they were actually more like kidney shots!

So where did the wad cutters end up?
One I couldn’t find, 1 I recovered deep in the crop, around the wishbone. One deep in the breast mussel, one went through the crop into the neck, One just into the lung, and the last one was in the heart. I think the one in the heart was the shot from the back. The piledriver sent into the back (lower back) I found at the base of the neck.

Pellets recovered from the pigeon.

So more questions…
This is a very particular situation, steep uphill shot that I do not want to exit.
Will the wadcutters exit? I don’t think so.
Will they kill the pigeons dead on the spot? I don’t think so.
Will they kill the pigeons and solve the problem? I believe so.
Would a slightly heavier pellet, like the 10,34gr hades penetrate deeper into vitals but still not exit? Maybe.
I think we’re making progress and have a possible solution, but I also feel more testing is needed to find the best pellet and set up for this specific situation.
Pete.
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2023 at 5:17pm
I think at that low power 10.3 heavies are probably the max id go. But you can squeak that power up a touch if required.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2023 at 4:40pm
I attended to the pigeons on Monday night, after the pub had closed and everyone had gone home.
Went past this afternoon and there were no pigeons to be seen.
Seems we might have succeeded 👍🏻.
But I’d still like to keep testing to work out what the perfect pellet, speed and penetration combination is for any further tricky pigeon problems.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2023 at 5:09am
How in hell did you ever kill the first pidgin with such little understanding of thier anatomy? Lucky head shots are pretty strait forward.
Great review of pellets, great to see real results from actual subject testing.
At 10m buy a low power pistol and put a stock on it. I've shot sparrows in the wool shed with the 1322 at lower pumps and no over penitrate and hit roof.
That breast meat is delious. Pidgeonz taste great. Out rank duck meat. 10 fold
flock View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2023 at 8:12am
Did you use your night vision? Still vote for pollymags at short distance or havn't used them the gamo redfires.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2023 at 6:23pm
Got the first one like I’ve shot all the other pigeons I’ve shot, Same way everyone else does it, by not worrying about shoot throughs (plenty of space out in a paddock) and using way more than necessary FPE 😂😂😂 and shooting center of mass 😂.
Have shot plenty of pigeons before, and hundreds of mynas, but never needed to not over penetrate before, so it was only when I started this journey to find out min power required that I had the need to dissect a pigeon to determine penetration, and that’s when I found out their heart is halfway down towards their poophole… 😂😂😂

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2023 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by flock flock wrote:

Did you use your night vision? Still vote for pollymags at short distance or havn't used them the gamo redfires.

Yes, used the Pulasr Thermion 👍🏻.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>
  Share Topic