Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Target Shooting and Clubs > Target Shooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My new (old) little .177 bullpup.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2023 at 7:25am
Why don't you put some glass behind your next test, or metal flashing to see how big the dent is.
RangerPete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2023 at 6:10pm
Hummm… that’s not a bad idea.
Where can I get some scrap pieces of glass from?

Here is a pic of a pigeon teasing me, and the glass roof up above it 😂😂😂
Walk quietly, but carry a big stick.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2023 at 6:31pm
Should have popped it strait thru the breast. There's a lot of pellet slowing meat there. Breast bone, crop if it is full, feathers, then the heart etc, but they arn't that tough.
Personally I'd have thought indoor shooting would be for a pumper. I've shot sparrows in the.woolshed with. Mine at 5 pumps and not had them go right thru.

Edited by kruzaroad - 10 Aug 2023 at 6:32pm
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2023 at 9:08am
I used that same gun in a shopping centre for shooting sparrows. It had a big glass dome, so similar situation. I got a couple of small panes of off cuts from the local glass supplier for free.

But like you, I still didn't want to risk it so I only shot at something that had a good back ground. For that pigeon there could you have moved position so a metal frame was behind it?
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2023 at 10:59am
Looks like it Pauly.
Shooting from the right of the picture and further back would put the center beam and two arms off it as back drop.
I'll see if my mate on farm will let me pop a pidgeon and if so, I'll do a few shots into it and work out the fpe needed at target to not over penitrate which should put you in the ball park for trials.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2023 at 6:09pm
That beam behind it is smaller then it looks 😂😂😂
And any sort of pellet path deviation inside the pigeon is going to result in a small change of the exit pellets trajectory… hummm 🤔
I keep telling my self that glass should be able to withstand a good hail storm, so should be at least 5mm thick…???
But still safer to wait for another day when I’ll catch him in a better position.
Be interested to know what your FPE findings are Kruza.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2023 at 8:50pm
If I get pidgeon. Hopefully tomorrow or the one in tree falls out in overnight wind.
I'll be doing it in .22 out of 1322 so once I have the fpe and pellet at the distance, you'll have to do a reverse calculation for .177 using pellet weight and fpe at distance to get muzzle enerdy required
I'll start low till get desired penitration then work up to pass through.
Probly start at midrange of the required power for penitration to pass through as .177 tends to punch through better than .22

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2023 at 11:38pm
Ja, I think a .22 with its larger frontal area is able to transfer/dump more energy into the target, resulting in less penetration.
This would be an interesting test to do, side by side…
If we compared two theoretical pellets, a .177 and a .22, both at the same power level, let’s say 5fpe, they would have stats something like this…
.177 JSB exact weighing 8,44gr @ 517fps gives 5.01FPE
A .22 JSB exact weighing 15.89gr @ 377fps gives 5.02FPE
Different size pellets, huge difference in weight (basically double), and a difference in velocity, BUT both projectiles are carrying the same amount of kinetic energy.
In theory the .177 with its smaller frontal surface area should “slip through” the pigeon easier, requiring less force to travel through the medium, taking longer to transfer its energy into the target, resulting in further penetration.
The .22 on the other hand, with its larger frontal surface area is going to meet more resistance from the pigeon, find it harder to push through the tissue, use more of it’s available energy to keep forward momentum and there for transfer energy into the target quicker, resulting is less penetration then the .177…   In theory.
To express that theory in a different way, a .22 projectile should require more FPE to penetrate to the same depth with in a given target, then a .177 projectile would require to penetrate to the same depth.

Hummm… 🤔
Maybe we should be using low powered .22’s for close range pigeon work (where over penetration is not desirable). 🤔
Definatly more testing to be done.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2023 at 1:21pm
Won't be no testing this weekend. I've had two hang in the trees, missed a couple of shots and they are spooky.
( Ive shot them for food a couple of times. They clue up fast nowadays)
So unless one falls out of tree, I'm leaving them till next weekend.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2023 at 11:24pm
I happened to be out for a walk last night when I met a bunny.
I happened to also be carrying little Elly…
Unlucky bunny…
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>
  Share Topic