Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Target Shooting and Clubs > Target Shooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My new (old) little .177 bullpup.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2023 at 1:42pm
I’ve heard some good things about the Gamo 10X hollow point pellet, 7.56gr, so I thought I’d try some.
Put them through my little Elly with some other knows for comparison.
I had her set on low power because I’ve been doing some pigeon work, so I just left it there as I could only test at 10m at home anyay.
Shot 5 shot group of the Gamo 10X, 5 shot group of the Air Chief target flap point 8.18gr, and 5 JSB exacts 8,44gr as a control group..
They did all right, I’d call it one ragged hole, but as usual nothing compares with the exacts 😉
What I found interesting was even though there is almost 1gr weight difference over the 3, the poi is identical for all of them. Nice to know if I’m ever in a pinch anyone of them will still be dead on 👍🏻
Walk quietly, but carry a big stick.
RangerPete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2023 at 12:57pm
I’m trying to build a website at the moment, and I needed a “wow” photo to show the kind of pest control that can be achieved if the rabbits are around.
In the afternoon I checked the balistic calculator out to 60m, in a strong side wind 😡. I hate wind.
Started with the nikko stirling 6-24x50 FFP, wanted to check it’s zero out at 60. Almost packed up before I had even started with that hard blowing side wind, then I thought to my self, use it as a training excersize, because I have very little experience shooting in strong wind, it just frustrates me so I usually go home 😂.

First few shots were frustrating. At 30m I was aiming off by 6cm. Aiming for the middle swinger and hitting the one next to it! At 60m it was worse. Managed to work out the hold over and how far off to hold for the wind and got a decent 3 shot group at 60m
Then switched to the Pard DS35. The balistic calculator worked out the drop correctly, and I had to hold off for the wind, but managed to get two shots on the spinners at 60m. Aim at the big one and hit the one next to it… 😂😂😂

I was actually quite chuffed with my self for beating the wind, so before it all went south I decided to call it on the spinners and go look for some rabbits. I had some work to do if I wanted to get that “wow” pic.
Started at 2pm, walking slowly around and talking quietly to the horses, didnt see a rabbit for an hour!

Eventually at around 3 they started slowly appearing and my shooting session started.
The later it got the more rabbits came out. I managed to shoot a bunch, and then about another 8 that I couldn’t find.
5 hours later and sick and tired of climbing through electric paddock fences to retrieve dead rabbits, I finally got my photo.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2023 at 12:59pm
Check out this little cream puff!
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2023 at 1:09pm
Gee, that's impressive Pete. Just goes to show you don't need high power, just placement.

I have a wind chart calculation I will try and dig up. You will find most FT or HFT shooters are excellent at this. Even using a bit of wool off the end of the gun, and using angle to judge the wind speed at the muzzle can help, especially if you don't have grass or trees to gauge off.
Billbobnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billbobnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2023 at 2:05pm
That's awesome Pete, nice work
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2023 at 2:12pm
That's awsome number. Have you shot there before or this the first?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2023 at 3:08pm
Thanks guys. Was a busy afternoon.
I’ve shot there once before, just an afternoon shoot.
Was between giving the thermion back and getting the Pard so I couldn’t “see in the dark” 😂.
Got 19 that afternoon.
It’s a big property but there are still loads of rabbits there.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2023 at 10:44pm
Went out to a very small permission tonight.
It’s just a parking lot really, and two patches of grass.
The owner keeps saying there are rabbits there, and I believe him, there is digging and scratching all along the edges of the drive way, but every time I stick my head in there and have a look around, there are never any rabbits there 😡.
This afternoon I decided to do a stake out there. Bitterly cold wind blowing here today, so I parked in the parking lot at last light and sat in my nice warm ute for an hour. No rabbits to be seen.
Just when I was considering calling it a night, I gave the thermal one last sweep around the parking lot and hey, what do u know, there’s a bunny!
So I snuck out my ute, rifle in my one hand, shooting sticks in the other, crept around a bush, and shot him!

He’s now sleeping in the back of my ute and I now have a test subject for the gamo 10x pellets tomorrow morning.
I want to test them with a head shot at 10m and 4.5fpe, and see if they expand nicely.
Might also try one or two body shots at 12fpe aswell.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2023 at 11:25pm
Made it out to the bunny factory late this afternoon.
Windy and drizzeling, bitterly cold wind. But as the evening went on the weather improved. But the wind was still bloody cold.

I spent a few hours this morning making this cunning little devise…

Tested it out this evening and it works beautifully.
Fits onto the passenger seat perfectly, and rests on the center console so it’s rock solid. I put some steps into it for close, medium and far shots, and an extra high step for uphill pigeon shots.
Because the wind was so cold, I decided to just test the new rest all evening and didn’t even get out the ute 😂😂😂 too cold.

Just to make you guys jealous that haven’t seen a rabbit in a while, I just idled around shooting out the passenger window, and I got 28 tonight. Although one was a left hand shot out the drivers side window 😂.

This is the third time I’ve visited this property and I’ve now taken 85 rabbits there, and there are still plenty more to go 😳.
I played with the video function on the pard DS35, and actually managed to get a video clip, which was actually the left handed shot. I’ll try post it, hopefully I’ll figure it out.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2023 at 11:30pm
It says the video is the wrong file type 🤔
And I don’t know why the picture above is on its side? 😡
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
  Share Topic