Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Target Shooting and Clubs > Target Shooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My new (old) little .177 bullpup.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2023 at 4:21pm
Oops…
I’m sure that’s not supposed to look like that!
Quickly phoned Youngs and got another one on the way.
Guess I’m going to be manually indexing the mag tonight 😂
Walk quietly, but carry a big stick.
RangerPete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2023 at 8:48pm
Had a short outing this evening.
Sat on a veranda and waited for some rabbits to come out from under the deck I was sitting on. Was onLy shooting at 11 or 13 yards, but had a shed 14y in front of me, and a spa bath, and 13y to my left was a horse standing there looking at me, and of course the folks sitting in the lounge behind me.
So I had a few things to work around.

Been spending a bit of time with the Pard DS 35, trying to set up a close range (5-20m) low power (4.5fpe) tune for rats and close range pigeons. I haven’t quite got it 100%, but it’s 98% which is close enough for now. I’ll perfect it in the next few days. So I decided to use that low power level this evening.

Only 1 rabbit emerged from under the deck, and it didnt hang around long enough for a shot, but I did managed to get 4 on the outskirts of the garden and through the fence just in the paddock.
Longest shot was 19yards. A little 8.44gr doing 503fps, giving 4.47FPE at the muzzel, is still lethal at 19y. Shot through the left eye and into the brain and it just stiffened up and rolled over, dead as a door nail.

4.5 foot pounds guys, that’s all you need 😂😂😂
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2023 at 10:39pm
You could upload videos to you tube, then make them visible only to ones with the link. Paste the link here and we get to watch.
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2023 at 10:57pm
Hmmmm would that be the same through the body?
Personally I won't go below 5fpe at target.
Thats about 3.8 fpe at target.
I'd say that is getting pretty dodgy if shot is off slightly.
Leave those low power shots to you I think.
Nice shooting anyway.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2023 at 6:52pm
The tests I did on rabbit kadavers at 10m with 4.5fpe JSB exacts showed penetration through the vitals, so still lethal shots.
But at 10 to 20m why would you not take a head shot?
kruzaroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2023 at 8:03pm
Me because Im still mostly shooting hares. Open paddock. Not from one spot. Not always good angles so body shot allows me more Lee way.
It stops the animal thrashing around a lot more. Brain short circuits make them dance. Heart/lung don't (as a general rule).
From my experiance anyway.
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2023 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by RangerPete RangerPete wrote:

Oops…
I’m sure that’s not supposed to look like that!
Quickly phoned Youngs and got another one on the way.
Guess I’m going to be manually indexing the mag tonight 😂

What broke?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2023 at 2:19pm
Mag wasnt indexing properly, wasnt moving the full amount to get the next pellet lined up with the breech, so the pellet probe was wasnt lining up with the hole in the mag and couldnt close the side lever.
I took the indexing mechanism apart and that brass "post" is the part that slides up and down. The copper strip "finger" lying next to it is supposed to be attached to it, and is what actually contacts the magazine and pushes the drum up one "click".

According to you tube (LOL) the copper finger fatigues and gets a little bent out of shape over time, and does then not complete the "push" to index the magazine. It can be gently bent back into shape with a long nosed pliers, which I tried, but alas the copper "finger" gave me the finger and said it had had enough.
Its a 2015 model rifle, so I'm guessing its had a few (thousand) pellets through it and that little finger has had to work for every pellet, and it was probably just its time.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2023 at 12:17pm
Replacement part just arrived.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2023 at 12:42pm
I see there is an upgrade for S410’s and S510’s for this indexing post.
New one has a solid arm.
Oh well, my new one is in and working. If it goes again I’ll try get the upgraded part.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
  Share Topic