Kiwi Airgunners Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Target Shooting and Clubs > Target Shooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Playing with slugs?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2023 at 11:01pm
This is great stuff. Lot of variation to play with.
RangerPete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2023 at 12:13am
Thanks Paul,
I might give that a try next week.
I’m for ever in search of that elusive “one ragged hole at 40m” 😉
Walk quietly, but carry a big stick.
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2023 at 7:18pm
In theory you will get good accuracy when you have a good ballance of the reg pressure and hammer tension for a particular pellet or slug.

To find this you need a chrony and writing down speeds.

With the TP on biggest calibre, hammer maxed out, shoot a couple, record speed, then move hammer down a notch, shoot and note speed, repeat through hammer settings. If you were to draw a graph with the speeds, the point where the speed dropped off dramatically is the ballance point. they say that 5% under this point is where you want to be. At this point no more power can be got from the reg and higher hammer tension will only waste air.
Once you've found this point shoot groups adjusting the fine allen screw down to find a point where groups tighten. At this point you are really harmonic tuning.
You should be getting one ragged hole at 25 m hopefully.
You can also adjust the reg a very small amount if you don't find the magic tune. It means that to some extent you need to go through the above adjustments again. Don't think you have to increase power to find accuracy either.
The sound of each shot should sound "sweet" when you have a good tune too. This means that just the right amount of air is being released to push the pellet without waste and the pellet speed will also be consistant.
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2023 at 10:55pm
If you have already, I found this video good on the theory of it.http://youtu.be/KDvuMwjwk9M

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2023 at 6:04pm
Interesting video. I’d like to get into that next week if I get some time.
The problem I have is the easiest place for me to test is in a 25m indoor tunnel, yeh I know, nice hey 😉
But my chrony won’t work in there because of the lighting 😞.
I’ll find a way to make it work somehow, and will get into the fine tuning and keep chasing that one ragged hole.

On a side note, I went out for a little pest control last night using the 30gr Spyda slugs.
They certainly did the business on 8 rabbits, 3 possums and a pigeon.
I have them zeroed about 10mm low at 25m, but don’t know what the drop is yet at 40, 50, etc, so had some frustrating misses at longer shots. But as soon as I can find somewhere to go shoot where I can get out to 50 or 60m I’ll get all the drops worked out.
Slowly slowly catch a monkey 😉
Pauly5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2023 at 6:11pm
You could use something like chairgun to get an idea of poi.

You will burn through air and pellets doing it.

I am guessing, but if your close zero is 25, is suspect you will have holdover at 50 m. I think my close zero is about 15m and second zero around 50 m. But scope height will make a big difference.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RangerPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2023 at 7:35pm
Never tried Chairgun, but I think it will be worth looking into.
Is it a website or an app?
chopsuey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopsuey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2023 at 8:40pm
Hay guys Slugs don't come into there own until approx 60/70/80m +.. Depending what you are trying to achieve and what ranges or situation you plan on shooting.

My own rule is Out to 80m Pellets will be more accurate. And also cheaper to run if you are punching paper.

Beyond 80m Slugs will start to out perform the Pellets in terms of bucking the wind and long range accuracy. Long range pest control?  Usually the groups are not too flash at around 50m. Also Slugs like to be over 900FPS (900-1000FPS). But Beyond the 80m over 100m you will start to see the group sizes tighten over the Pellets.

I am currently running the 25gr Spydas and need to finalise my tune, have had great results with them, they seem to like around 971FPS in my M3 700mm barrel.
flock View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2023 at 9:36pm
Is that the FX wildcat M3? if so what is your reg setting please.
chopsuey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopsuey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2023 at 8:23pm
Sorry its the Impact M3, have you got the bottle version or normal tube? They are a fantastic rifle!!! Wish i had never sold mine!!

My Wildcat Mk3 also ran the 25gr Slugs but had a Huma Transfer port/Huma 30cc Power Plenum/ Huma Regulator, I could get 1000FPS from this set up but can't find my old settings. If I find them il post them up. I ran the slugs at 950FPD from memory.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic